1. Home
  2. »
  3. Study in UK

Study in UK

Every year, large numbers of students hop the big pond to study abroad in England. As one of the most accessible and well-known countries in the world, it is no wonder that England plays host to such a myriad of students, whose reasons, fields of study, and backgrounds range from artists, history buffs, poets, and everyone in between.

Studying in UK is a great match for students embarking on their first international experience – with few language barriers and easily navigable streets, students find getting caught up in the British way of life not only comfortable, but also addicting. We’ve all seen pictures of the quaint, rolling English countryside, but many students aim to learn what else this prominent country has to offer.


UK has no shortage of reputable and high-quality colleges and universities. From the vibrant and multicultural circuses of London to the historic cobblestoned streets of Bath to the up-all-night university town of Newcastle, England’s diversity offers a suitable fit for every type of student.


The country’s capital and most famous city, London is a clear pick for the thousands of students who choose London each year for study abroad. People from all corners of the planet flock here, creating a dynamic melting pot. Dodge skateboarders, ride on a double-decker bus, and stuff your face with Cadbury as you peruse the city’s landmarks – there’s no shortage here, with Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, The Tower of London, among countless others!


Nestled in England’s northeastern corner and located on the Tyne river, the city of Newcastle is known to have a night life that rivals London. Home to a large population of students and university football fans, Newcastle boasts a great variety of eateries, pubs, sports matches, theaters, night clubs, festivals, and music venues.
Pro tip: be sure to check out the Alnwick Castle (about a 30 minute bus ride away) while you’re in Northumberland. A must-see for Harry Potter and/or History aficionados!

Cambridge And Oxford

These words have nearly become synonymous with quality education, and for a taste of England’s educational system, these universities will be the most delicious.

Nearly a quarter of the University of Oxford’s student population are international students, and the university itself has the unique superlative of being the world’s very first university for learners of English. Surrounded by a community of academics who highly value their studies, when you take your nose out of your book, you’re faced with a backdrop of beautiful architecture, small shops, and the Thames River.

On the flipside, the University of Cambridge sits an hour east of London, in an area highly concentrated in business ventures. Students, Gothic architecture, the famous view of King’s College from across the river, and history all come together to comprise a dynamic and interesting city that houses the second oldest university in the western world.


With different types of housing available, visa requirements, and dynamic student culture, there’s a lot to keep in mind when planning your time in UK.



As England attracts international students from around the world, a great option for cultural integration may be directly in a university dormitory. Other programs may organize and provide housing specifically for program participants, such as Panrimo, who organizes shared apartments for students in downtown London. IFSA’s program in Newcastle gives students the option of living in a dormitory or securing their housing independently. Or, you can live in a castle!

If you have to organize housing on your own, BeRoomers and UniPlaces are two websites who list student housing in England.

Immersion And Cultural Activities

Sometimes, programs will throw in a few weekend or week-long activities to sweeten the deal. These excursions can be educational, fun, or both – and if you have the extra money to spend, finding a program that offers such experiences may be a worthwhile investment.

For example, GlobaLinks has partnered with STA Travel to organize a wealth of shortterm trips to neighboring countries. If you prefer to travel local, programs like Panrimo’s offer customizable excursions, where you can see famous castles or Shakespeare’s old stomping grounds.


It is possible to select a program that does not include activities so you can instead organize them independently. If you are self-reliant and motivated to create your own adventure, this type of study abroad experience will be both challenging and fulfilling


Can You Work While You Study In The UK?

Where Could You Live

Whether you can work or not while studying abroad depends on the type of visa you have. As per the new immigration rules in UK that came into force on 4 July 2011, affects applicants under Tier 4. This rule is applicable to students from the Non-European economic area (EEA); Indian students fall under this category. The conditions laid down above are applicable if you are pursuing your course from a recognized body, a institution that receives public funding as higher education institution in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland or any publically funded further education college. Also, whether you can work depends on where you study. You are not permitted to work in UK if you are pursuing any course, i.e. undergraduate, post-graduate or PhD, with a private institution which is not a higher education institution in UK or public funded further education college. On the other hand, if your private college is a recognized body, you may be allowed work.

How Many Hours Are You Allowed To Work Per Week?

Usually, you are allowed to work while you are studying if you are in UK on a Tier 4 (General) or student visa. You are advised to check the passport stamp/sticker on your entry clearance/ residence permit
– If it says “Work”(and any changes) must be authorized” or “Able to work as authorized by the secretary of State”, you are allowed to work alongside your studies.
– If your programme is degree-level or above, i.e. Bachelor’s or Master’s or research degree, you are permitted to work a minimum of 20 hours per week during the term-time.
– If your programme is below degree-level, e.g. Diploma or certificate course, you are permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours every week during term-time.

However, you are permitted to work full-time during holidays. Students should note that ‘term-time’ is your actual classroom period including lectures, preparation for examination or doing course work. Holidays are usually around Christmas and Easter and vacations after completion of examinations.

If you a student visitor in UK, you are not allowed to work, i.e. paid/unpaid employment or work placements.

What Kind Of Work Are You Allowed To Do?

International students can do most kind of jobs but there are few exceptions. Students:

  • Must not be self-employed
  • Must not be working as a professional sportsperson or give sports coaching
  • Not allowed to take up full time permanent vacancy
  • Must not be a performing artist.

However, in case you are required to undertake any internship or work placement which may involve performance then it must be assessed part of your curriculum, e.g. music and dance courses.

You can also go for volunteering roles as a great way to gain new skills and improve your CV. Students should ensure that their emigration status allows taking up positions-even unpaid positions.

Finding Work

Sometimes, as part of your syllabus you might be required to work. In such cases, usually the college or university arranges placements for you. You can reach out to your university employment center that can help you increase your employability, gain new skills and experience.

Typically students can work part-time in a café, bar, stores, call center or clerical work. But you may also find jobs depending on the skills and expertise. You can find jobs by registering with the local recruitment agency, in local newspapers, on notice boards at the university, jobs on website or simply approaching the employer directly. Since the job market is generally competitive, it is advisable to organize such work as soon as possible. During holidays, you may want to do a job that will provide you with experience in your field of study.

You can also go for volunteering roles as a great way to gain new skills and improve your CV. Students should ensure that their emigration status allows taking up positions-even unpaid positions.

National Insurance Number

Also, before you start working there are other requirements which you will have to fulfill. In UK, employees and employers have to pay National insurance contributions (funds for state benefits such as pensions and health benefits). In UK, you will need National Insurance number (NINo) to be able to work. You can apply for National insurance number by calling 0845 600 0643 to fix an appointment. You will have to fill out a form by providing all relevant details such as personal details, passport number, visa, address etc.

You can start working before you receive National insurance number.

If you earn more than a specified personal allowance, you will have to pay income tax.

Working alongside studies might help with your additional expenses but you should not depend on the part-time work as a means to pay your tuition fees. Finding a balance between work and study is essential. Don’t try to work for long hours. This may leave you tired and affect your studies – you need time to rest and relax too! Students should be careful not to exceed the maximum, lest to want to risk you continuing studies.

Take IELTS with CEA

Important Information

Duration:4 weeks or 8 weeks (1:30 hrs/session)
Batch:Every Monday
Duration:8-10 hrs/week
Class timings:8:00 am – 9:00 pm
Class size:Maximum 6 students